[BLOODY NOVEMBER] Fact Sheet of of peasant-related killings and human rights violations
KILUSANG MAGBUBUKID NG PILIPINAS (KMP, PEASANT MOVEMENT OF THE PHILIPPINES)•THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2017
[UPDATED] FACT SHEET of peasant-related human rights violations
Here are some of the documented cases of political killings, illegal arrests, detention and HRVs of farmers and peasant leaders:
1. November 10 – Carlito Badillo, leader of Tag-alag Tag-alag Farmers and Fisherfolk Association was illegally ARRESTED in Marabut, Eastern Samar. He was charged with rebellion and illegal possession of explosives.
2. November 13 – Oliver Molina and Robert Dalupang, farmers from Brgy. Diasan, Isabela and both active members of peasant organization Danggayan dagiti Mannalon ti Isabela were ABDUCTED by the 86th Infantry Battalion of the Philippine Army (IBPA). After a province-wide search by their families, both were found DETAINED at the army camp in Balabal, Brgy. Uno, Jones, Isabela last November 18.
3. November 16 – Perfecto Hoyle, 60, peasant leader and lay pastor of the United Churches of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP) was shot and KILLED by two masked gunmen in Brgy. Canaway, Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte. The perpetrators stayed near Hoyle’s body until dawn as the local PNP reportedly remained unresponsive to calls for help from residents. Elements of the 29th IBPA were also encamped in the community at the time of Hoyle’s shooting.
4. November 15 – Woman peasant leader Florida ‘Pong’ Sibayan of Alyansa ng mga Magbubukid sa Asyenda Luisita (AMBALA) was SNATCHED by security guards of Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation (RCBC) and ILLEGALLY ARRESTED the Tarlac Philippine National Police.
At around 9AM on that day, hurled rocks at farmers and attempted to disperse the ranks of AMBALA members as they were reclaiming portion of the 500-hectare of lands fenced by RCBC.
During the altercation, RCBC security guards and goons ‘snatched’ Sibayan and brought her to Camp Macabulos in Tarlac City. She was ILLEGALLY CHARGED with malicious mischief, physical injuries, among other cases. Sibayan posted bail and was released temporarily the following day, November 16.
5. November 18 – activist couple Senando Jacutin, 47, peasant organizer of KMP in Western Mindanao, and Rosario Tabanao, 47, coordinator of Karapatan-Western Mindanao, were ARRESTED by composite elements of the CIDG Region 9 and the 1st Infantry Tabak Division of the AFP. Authorities are set to file trumped-up charges of illegal possession of firearms and explosives against the couple, based on planted evidence. Jacutin and Tabanao are currently DETAINED at the Pagadian City Police Station in Zamboanga del Sur.
6. November 20 – Nine peasants and fisherfolks, women activists and human rights defenders Leonardo delos Reyes, 44, Carlos Sanosa, 64, Joey Castillano, 47, Roberto Hernandez, Jocelyn Cabadin, 44, Jennylin Bayani, 30, Orlan Cabadin, 19, Anthony Banaga were illegally ARRESTED by the Philippine Air Force 730th Combat Group. They arrested individuals are members of local peasant and fisherfolk organization Haligi ng Batanguenong Anakdagat (HABAGAT) and Samahang Pinag-isang Damdamin who joined the Quick Reaction Team led by the BHRA-Karapatan to monitor human rights violations against civilians in Nasugbu town following the military’s pursuit operations against the NPA. The victims known as Nasugbu 9, filed bail and were temporarily released last November 22.
7. November 21 – elements of SWAT, CIDG and Philippine Airforce 730th Combat Group RAIDED the houses of peasant and fisherfolks in Lian, Batangas. Among the victims were Barangay San Diego village chief Leodigario Alicaya, residents Joan Raboza, Jose Delos Reyes, Mario delos Reyes and Orlindo Cabadin. Cabadin is the husband of Jocelyn Cabadin, who was among the Nasugbu 9 human rights defenders illegally arrested and detained by the PAF and PNP last November 20 in Nasugbu, Batangas.
8. Human rights groups immediately condemned the arrests and raids in Batangas which were the first documented cases of HRVs following Duterte’s verbalized threat of crackdown against BAYAN and allied organizations.
9. November 23 – On the same day President Duterte announced the signing of Proclamation 360 officially terminating the peace talks with NDFP, peasant leaders were attacked in Compostela, Oriental Mindoro and Agusan del Norte.
Suspected elements of the 71st and 46th IBPA RAIDED the house of peasant leader Renante Mantos, chairperson of the Hugpong sa Mag-uuma sa Walog Compostela (HUMAWAC) in Barangay Molamodao, Maco, Compostela Valley. HUMAWAC is a local chapter of KMP. Mantos is actively supporting the land struggle of farmworkers of the Madaum Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries Inc. (MARBAI) against the Lorenzo family’s Lapanday in Tagum, Davao del Norte.
Vivencio Sahay, a peasant leader from Caraga, was gunned down and KILLED by unknown gunmen in Brgy. Calamba, Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte. Sahay was the chairperson of the Unyon sa Mag-uuma sa Agusan del Norte (UMAN), a local peasant organization.
10. Peasant group UMAN is actively campaigning against land grabbing, land-use conversion in Agusan Del Norte.
11. Peasant leader Jerry Santiago, a Mangyan from Oriental Mindoro was illegal ARRESTED by elements of Bulalacao PNP in Oriental Mindoro. Trumped-up charges for the murder of a paramilitary member is set to be filed against Santiago. The victim is still DETAINED in Roxas, Oriental Mindoro and will face fabricated murder charges despite proof that he was attending a community meeting on the said date of the alleged murder incident.
12. November 24 – Three farmers identified as Richard Avino, Teny Gerbon and Arnel Aquino who are members of peasant group Kontra-Kagutuman ngan Kontra-Kakablasan san Katawhan in Brgy. Osmena, Palapag, Northern Samar, were ABDUCTED by elements of the 20th IBPA. The three farmers were tagged as NPA members and were forcibly taken by 20th IB Philippine Army soldiers. The three farmers were initially declared as MISSING. The following day, they were located at the 20th IBPA camped DETAINED.
13. November 25 – Katungod-Northern Samar coordinator Sargie Macallan was PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED Lt. Col. George Domingo, commanding officer of the CMO Battalion in the 20th IB’s Opong detachment. Macallan was strangled by Doming while the former was seeking dialogue with the military to ascertain the location of the three missing farmers.
14. November 25 – Apolonio Maranan, a resident of DDF Village, Barangay Mandug, Buhangin District, Davao City, and a member of Anakpawis Partylist, was KILLED by suspected members of the 16th IBPA. According to his wife, Maranan went out to buy dinner when he was gunned down near their house.
15. November 25 – the house of Imelda Gagap, 48, peasant leader from UMAN-KMP was STRAFED in Brgy. Maraiging, Jabonga, Agusan del Norte, Caraga. Two motorcycle-riding men indiscriminately fired at Gagap’s house. The victim survived. She is a vocal critic of the militarization in Agusan and the presence of the 20th IB in their area. A total of five army battalions are deployed in Caraga region.
16. November 23-25 – A military CHECKPOINT was set up in Km. 6 – Neptune in San Agustin, Surigao Del Sur. Three army trucks filled with military troops camped near the Lumad communities.
17. November 25 – military troops advanced towards Lumad communities at Km. 16 and Han-ayan in Brgy. Diatagon in Lianga town also in Surigao del Sur.
18. November 26 – At least 12 Lumad communities in Brgy. Diatagon in Lianga, Brgy. Buhisan in San Agustin, Surigao del Sur along with 706 students of 9 Lumad schools and 51 teachers of ALCADEV and Tribal Filipino Program of Surigao Sur EVACUATED due to heavy military presence.
19. November 28 – a 30-team Fact-Finding Mission (FFM) composed of human rights workers, farmers, youth activists, church people and other sectors were targeted by armed men in Brgy. San Ramon, Bayawan City in Negros Oriental.
20. Those KILLED were Elisa Badayos of Karapatan Central Visayas and Elioterio Moises, a barangay tanod and member of local peasant organization Mantapi Ebwan Farmers Association (MEFA). Badayos and Moises sustained several gunshot wounds and were pronounced dead-on-arrival at a local hospital in Bayawan City, Negros Oriental. CJ Matarlo, 23-year-old activist and member of Kabataan partylist was WOUNDED in the shooting.
21. November 29 – Agrarian reform beneficiary (ARB) Lando Moreno, 64 years old, former plantation worker of Filipinas Palm Oil Plantation Inc. (FPPI) was shot dead and KILLED in Brgy. Maligaya, Rosario Agusan del Sur. Based on initial reports, the incident happened at around 2PM while 13 guards and 2 masked gunmen suspected to be goons of FPPI blocked the harvest hauling of NGPI Sustino group. Agusan del Sur is in Caraga.
22. November 30 – Rodrigo Timoteo, a member of Compostela Farmers Association (CFA), was shot dead by suspected agents of 66th Infantry Battalion Phil Army. Timoteo was killed in Purok 20 in Barangay Mambusao, Compostela town. He was supposed to attend the Bonifacio Day rallies in Davao City.